Printer, Sound card

I have had Debian for about two years and never have
been able to get my printer configured. Everytime I
try to print I get "operation not supported by device"
from the command line and a reference to "character
modules not found" in xconsole.

So I thought , let me try another Distro that's based
on Debian and see if I have more luck. I was extremely
impressed by the install in the sense that it was fast
and set up my software efficiently, but I still have
the same problems with hardware- the printer doesn't
respond and the sound cards, an Ensoniq Vivio and an
Alsa 120 act like they aren't there. Only my pnpdump
says they are there. I have never been able to get my
sound to work no matter what distribution of linux I
work with.

I could screw with the kernel, but it didn't work with
Debian, so I have no reason to think that it will work
with Corel. Can anyone tell me why they think my
devices are not working properly?