Re: mailman craziness

-----Original Message-----
From: J C Lawrence <claw@kanga.nu>
To: Mark Symonds <mark@symonds.net>
Cc: Debian <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Date: Saturday, February 05, 2000 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: mailman craziness

>On Sun, 6 Feb 2000 19:57:29 -0800
>Mark Symonds <mark@symonds.net> wrote:
>
>> - I immediately noticed that it's asking for the admin password
>> *alot* more.  Every single link or button on an admin page spawns
>> an authentication request.  Even clicking "details" links in the
>> general options window gets a passwd prompt.
>
>Exit your browser.  Delete your cookies file.  Try again.  This is a
>standard and well known problem (usually with IE from what I recall)
>with browsers and cookies -- see the MailMan list archives for
>further details.

Great idea... but it didn't work.  I thought for sure it would since
you're right about IE -- I was trying to admin the list using IE on
a user's windows box.  After posting I went to a linux box and tried
it with Netscape, whaddya know, worked perfectly.  Lynx works too.

It's because IE4.x+ apparently sends cookies without double
quotes (in violation of RFC 2109).  Here are the postings I found
about it:

http://www.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/1999-July/001195.html

http://www.python.org/mailman-bugs/resolved?id=80;expression=mailman;user=gu
est

That last one has a patch so I'll try it.  Thanks alot for your
suggestion, it put me on the right track.  I know alot of people say
this but it's true -- I've never seen support for any distro that even
comes CLOSE to what I've seen here for debian.

Appreciatively,

-Mark