Re: Getting xfs-xtt to work

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Bart Szyszka <bart@gigabee.com> wrote:

>> Try xset +fp unix/:7100 or something similar. xfs-xtt use port 7100, same as
>> xfs.
>
>I really have no idea what I'm doing so I'd appreciate it if you guys would
>be more specific. What's "similar" What should I do same as xfs? Like I said,
>I installed xfs-xtt. I don't have xfs (it asks me to remove xfs-xtt if I try to
>install xfs). Don't I need to do something like this:
>xset +fp /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype

No, you're getting something wrong here. Your X server doesn't need to
know the path to the font files, it needs to know were to find the
font server who in turn needs info about the path to the actual files.
Thus the "path" definition for the xserver could look like
"unix/:7100", which basically means "font server on localhost, port
7100". You want to put this in the "Files" section of your
/etc/X11/XF86Config file; mine looks like this:

Section "Files"
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath   "unix/:7100"
EndSection

The xset stuff is only for testing purposes, since the xserver will
refuse to start if something goes wrong with the fonts.

>When I do I get this:
>xset:  bad font path element (#38), possible causes are:
>    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>    Directory missing fonts.dir
>    Incorrect font server address or syntax

This is probably because there is no fonts.dir file. You don't have to
worry about this as far as the xserver is concerned as it won't access
the files but query the font server instead. But the font server might
need this file. xfs and xfsft do, xfstt doesn't, I don't know about
xfs-xtt. There should be some instructions that tell you what files
you need.

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>