Is ppp still active when ip-down is called?

When pppd is shutting down and calls ip-down, is the
ppp interface already dead, or can the network still
be used from that script?  The man page for pppd
isn't explicit about it, but it sounds like it might
be too late already.

I'm using dyndns.org, and I'd like to have my ip-down
reset my dyndns ip to 10.0.0.1 to indicate that the
machine is down and should not be connected to.
Currently, while my machine is down, connections to
my dyndns.org name get mapped to whomever my ISP has
given my last dynamic IP to after I shut down, which
is obviously not good.

Thanks,
- Marc