Re: Open Source tools

"Gary Hennigan" <glhenni@sandia.gov> writes:

> Cliff Draper <cliffwd@adsl-206-170-148-195.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net>
> writes:
> > I'm looking to start work on a Java project that I'm hoping will
> >make its way into the Open Source world soon.  I have a few
> >questions:
> >
> > 1. I was thinking of using the Mozilla Public License (MPL).  The
> >GPL is definately too restrictive for me, and the LGPL still seems
> >too restrictive.  What's the party line on these things?
> [snip]
>
> I've heard a lot of praise for the BSD license. Might be worth looking
> in to. I don't have a definitive reference but here's the URL for a
> piece of source code associated with the FreeBSD project that has the
> license at the top:
>
> http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/FreeBSD-srctree/newsrc/miscfs/specfs/spec_vnops.c.html
>
> It's a pretty much "use this for whatever you want, with appropriate
> disclaimers" license.

I don't know about the FreeBSD license, but the traditional BSD
license definitely is not. Licensing under the BSD license would mean
requiring people who create derived works to put in a clause saying
"This product includes software developed by Cliff Draper" in all
advertising etc; the requirement in question is know as the "onerous
advertising clause".  This is great if you'd like people to stroke
your ego, but it annoys a lot of people too.  Sticking to the modified
BSD license (that is, without the OAC) is probably best if having your
ego stroked is not too important to you.

--
Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
"There was a time when a guy who died at forty was revered as the toughest