Re: ZIP drives

Konrad Mierendorff <mierendorff@gmx.net> writes:
> Michael Meskes wrote:
> >
> > Do I have to be careful when buying a ZIP drive or does it "just" work? I
> > was thinking about a parallel port ZIP with 250MB cartridges.
>
> AFAIK parallel ZIP-drives are *dead* slow!
>
> - Konrad Mierendorff

...but fast enough. After configuring my printer port to use EPP, I
get 400KB/s under both Windows and Linux, reading and writing. Without
EPP I get 80KB/s or so reading, twice that writing---parallel port
weren't really meant for fast reading. This might be what Konrad
refers to as dead slow, but as you see it's all just a matter of
configuration.

This is an "old style" (ppa driver) 100MB parallel zip drive on a
Pentium Pro 200.

If you don't plan to carry your zip drive around, I would recommend
the ATAPI version. It doesn't need any special drivers (in Windows 95
and Linux, that is), is more than twice as fast (about 1MB/s for the
100MB version), and cheaper, too.

Matthias Hertel