Compiled Emacs

I'm using emacs under Linux, mounting ms-dog files and writing html

My attempts to install x-windows fail ( I assume some setting is making the installer unhappy, but I can't take more time to chase it now). I have also not installed browsers on the Linux side, but enjoy using Opera. Not sure if a Linux version is yet available

It would be convenient if I could get a compiled version of emacs, but ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/<... > is now password protected

Any thoughts?

David