Re: TROUBLE: Linux on Dell PowerEdge 4300 / 550 with RAID

some controllers may require some configuration in the scsi/raid bios
before using it in the OS.

did u try that ??

nate

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Manfred Knoke wrote:

Manfre >We want to use one of this servers as a webserver. And we have to decide betwen Linux and NT.
Manfre >When trying to install Linux for performance-testing ( to demonstrate, why linux is the preferred OS) we ran into trouble with the initialization of the disks ( six 9,6 gig HD in one raid-5 container ) there are two Controllers ( Adaptec 7800 ) which are manged with dells PERC-2 (PowerEdge raid-controller)
Manfre >
Manfre >The module aic7xxx is loaded and both adapters are detected. But there is no disk to partition.
Manfre >We have read as much 'RAID on Linux' documentation as possible in one day. Without success :(
Manfre >
Manfre >Dell doesnt support linux, but there are boot-disks for redhat, which fail,because of lacking SMP support.
Manfre >
Manfre >Please, has anyone managed the steps to detect a disk to partition on this server ?
Manfre >Or is it something, which we simply forgot to load as module ?
Manfre >
Manfre >TIA
Manfre >
Manfre >Manfred Knoke