TROUBLE: Linux on Dell PowerEdge 4300 / 550 with RAID

We want to use one of this servers as a webserver. And we have to decide betwen Linux and NT.
When trying to install Linux for performance-testing ( to demonstrate, why linux is the preferred OS) we ran into trouble with the initialization of the disks ( six 9,6 gig HD in one raid-5 container ) there are two Controllers ( Adaptec 7800 ) which are manged with dells PERC-2 (PowerEdge raid-controller)

The module aic7xxx is loaded and both adapters are detected. But there is no disk to partition.
We have read as much 'RAID on Linux' documentation as possible in one day. Without success :(

Dell doesnt support linux, but there are boot-disks for redhat, which fail,because of lacking SMP support.

Please, has anyone managed the steps to detect a disk to partition on this server ?
Or is it something, which we simply forgot to load as module ?

TIA

Manfred Knoke