Re: how did "Microsoft" get in here?

Quoth Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo,
> The CD you are using was mastered using Joliet extenstions to the ISO
> 9660 standard. Joliet is a filesystem developed at Microsoft to allow
> for long file names on a CD under Windows. Of course, the GNU world
> had Rock Ridge long before that, but the Linux kernel understands
> both, and to make it easier to get files from a CD in a Windows
> machine (say, when your GNU/Linux box doesn't have a CD-ROM drive),
> Joliet is in more wide spread use nowadays.

I actually missed the start of this thread, but it certainly rings a
bell if the original poster was having trouble installing slink.

For some reason, some of the slink CDs (ie., mine) seem to mount by
default as joliet, when they are actually RockRidge. I don't have any
idea how this might happen, but with the CDs I have, I've seen it on a
few different machines.

This causes a major headache for dselect, as joliet doesn't support
symlinks, and a lot of debian packages are symlinked all over the place.

The was I have got around this personally, is to mount the CD with the
`nojoliet' option passwd to mount. This will then force the CD to be
(correctly) identified as a RockRidge CD. You then need to use the
`mounted' access method in dselect, and point it to whereever your CD is
mounted (ie. /cdrom).

You can then install as normal.

HTH (the original poster)

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony