Re: Font doesnt work on X, so please help me.

Greetings,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 11:30:37AM -0500, SaitohTakeNami@aol.com wrote:
> I need your help on XFree86. I installed XFree86 3.3.6 running
> on Debian 2.0. After I did XF86Setup, X-windows opened, but fonts
> do not work. I mean I cannot see any character except for some vertical bars
> in the windows.

two questions:

a) got any fonts installed? The expression

   bash-2.01$ dpkg -l "xfonts*" | egrep "^ii"

should produce a list of X font packages installed. On my machine,
which is a rather straightforward standard installation of Debian 2.1
the command yields

   bash-2.01$ dpkg -l "xfonts*" | egrep "^(i.|.i)"
   ii  xfonts-100dpi   3.3.2.3a-11    100 dpi fonts for X servers
   ii  xfonts-75dpi    3.3.2.3a-11    75 dpi fonts for X servers
   ii  xfonts-base     3.3.2.3a-11    standard fonts for X servers
   bash-2.01$

b) is your value of "FontPath" in the file

   /etc/X11/XF86Config

ok? I mean, do the directories specified there contain any fonts?
Are there any directories on your machine containing X fonts that
are not specified there?

Finding out about these questions could help solving the problem.

Greetings,
Tilman.

__
some part of this mail is never under construction.