Re: Yehaw!

try running ./ns-install

it should work ..ive run it hundreds of times and never had a problem on
either linux or irix.

nate

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Lee Chapelle wrote:

canuck >Hi Tom
canuck >
canuck >I found kmail by good fortune, which supports multiple POP3 accounts, and the KD (I think it's called) newsreader which is supposed to allow you to switch from server to server, but it seems to be stuck on msnews. I downloaded Netscape 4.7 but I'm stumped, being a Linux newbie, read on..
canuck >OK, I'm all for the easy way, but how does one use 'ns-install'? Just running it doesn't work. <?>
canuck >
canuck >Lee
canuck >
canuck >======================================================================
canuck >Installation Information For Communicator 4.7
canuck >======================================================================
canuck >
canuck >The recommended way to install this software is to use 'ns-install',
canuck >a relatively simple Bourne shell script that will properly extract
canuck >and install all the files now present in this release.  It also runs
canuck >a command ('vreg') that enables you to receive future maintenance
canuck >releases and product updates for individual components that might
canuck >change between major product revisions.  It does this by creating
canuck >or updating a small file to keep track of the product name, version,
canuck >and installation directory.  This information is not broadcast to any
canuck >external entity (including Netscape), and is used only by Communicator.
canuck >
canuck >If you choose not to use 'ns-install', the following steps will help
canuck >you manually install the contents of this release (or rearrange the
canuck >contents in order to re-package them using another installer format,
canuck >such as RPM):
canuck >
canuck > 1) create the directory in which you want the release to live (we
canuck >    will assume /usr/local/netscape for the purposes of this example)
canuck >
canuck > 2) mv *.nif /usr/local/netscape
canuck >
canuck > 3) mv *.jar /usr/local/netscape/java/classes
canuck >
canuck > 4) mv vreg /usr/local/netscape  (if you want ASD (i.e., "push") to work)
canuck >
canuck > 5) cd /usr/local/netscape
canuck >
canuck > 6) Extract the contents of each .nif file with 'gzip -dc file | tar -xf -'.
canuck >
canuck >Do this if you don't have a .netscape directory and have never used
canuck >the product before:
canuck >
canuck > 7) mv bookmark.htm ~/.netscape/bookmarks.html  (or use ln -s)
canuck >
canuck >The following step is optional (see above):
canuck >
canuck > 8) echo 'Communicator,4.7.0.19990915,/usr/local/netscape' > /tmp/infile
canuck >    vreg /usr/local/netscape/registry /tmp/infile
canuck >
canuck >----------------------------------------------------------------------
canuck >
canuck >It is recommended that you make use of the MOZILLA_HOME environment
canuck >variable in your .cshrc, .profile, or equivalent.  MOZILLA_HOME should
canuck >be set to the directory in which you installed Communicator.
canuck >
canuck >For example, 'setenv MOZILLA_HOME /usr/local/netscape'.
canuck >
canuck >If you intend to move the 'netscape' binary into another directory
canuck >(like /usr/local/bin), then you must set MOZILLA_HOME in order for
canuck >Communicator to find all of its components.  (MOZILLA_HOME would be
canuck >set to the installation directory in this case, NOT the directory in
canuck >which the binary resides.)
canuck >
canuck >
canuck >