Need help on installing CD-ROM drive

I'm a newbie to Linux.  I've installed Debian in my
Packard Bell Packmate 850.  It's a 486 DX/2 50 mhz
with 20 mb of RAM and a Sound Blaster 16 card with a
CD-ROM attached to it.  The system does not recognizes
this CD-ROM drive.  I tried to install different
driver modules but the only one that do not failed was
the SoundBlasterPro driver for the CD-ROM.  But it
does'nt work.

I managed to install all drivers modules and the base
system using floppies.  I would like to have my CD-ROM
to work properly in order to continue installing other
applications from the Debian CD-ROM.

Please help me with any instructions or suggestions.