Re: Recompiling the Kernel?

In article <[🔎] 008001bf6c01$9e580940$0100000a@chinadoll98> you wrote:
> Is there a Debian-specific howto or man page for recompiling
> the kernel?  I apt-got the kernel-source-2.2.14 and
> kernel-package packages, but after installation, /usr/src
> did not have a directory containing the source for kernel
> 2.2.14 - just a single file, whose extension was .bz2.  What
> do I do with that file to get a source diectory?

It's a bzip2 archive.  tar handles those with the -I switch
so tar xIvf will uncompress it.

I recommend installing the kernel-package*.deb package to make
your kernel.  The README to that package says something like

1. untar the source
2. make config -- go with make xconfig if you have tcl/tk installed;
     much easier
3. make-kpkg clean
4. make-kpkg --revision=hostname.1.x kernel-image
5. install kernel-image*.deb
6. reboot

That's it.  There are some fiddly bits -- using fakeroot,
renaming lib/modules if you're installing the same version,
make a backup boot disk in case you screw up -- but the
above will usually work.