Re: dist upgrade the hardway?

"Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris@rnd-consulting.com> writes:
> Ok,
>   I'm showing 3 days download of potato.  Instead I'm doing a recursive
> ftp get of debian/dists/potato/ on http.us.debian.org.

This may, or may not, work. Depends on your ftp client and what ftp
server you're using. The trouble is that some of the stuff in potato
is linked to stuff in slink. Now that potato is frozen this may not be
the case, but it certainly was a couple of months ago.

Also, be aware that you're downloading debian for every architecture
by doing a recursive get of /debian/dists/potato. That means sparc,
i386, alpha, m68k, powerpc, etc. If you've got the disk space to
handle it then it's not a problem.

> Once I get this silly thing downloaded to my shell, I can ftp it to
> my office and take it home on a zip disk.

Zip disk? How big are those things now? I'm not convinced you'll be
able to get the whole potato distribution on a single zip disk. I just
checked my local mirror, it's an i386 only mirror, and it's over
2GB. You're downloading potato for all architectures so I imagine
it'll be significantly larger.

> Once I get the "potato" directory restored on my Linux box, what's
> the best way to put it on my machine and make it available so I can
> do my upgrade?  just put a "file /path/to/potato potato main" in
> /etc/apt/source.list and then do a dist-upgrade or what?  Can
> someone give me a step by step HOWTO in 10 easy steps type deal?

It's pretty easy. A local mirror is treated exactly the same as a
remote one. You just need to add the appropriate line(s) to
/etc/apt/sources.list. For the US i386 version of potato the line is:

deb file:/usr/local/PC/Debian-Mirror/debian frozen main contrib non-free

Of course your path will likely be different, but you get the
idea. Also, I think you can use "potato" in place of "frozen", but I
know the above line works. In either case you'll want to link frozen
to potato after you finish the ftp, like

% ln -s potato frozen

After you've added the line to /etc/apt/sources.list you simply do the
standard:

% apt-get update
% apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade if you're upgradding from an older
distribution)

Be aware that there are some problems in frozen right now. Personally,
I'm waiting to do an upgrade of my potato system until they're
resolved.

Good luck,
Gary