Re: how did "Microsoft" get in here?

dkphoto <dkphoto@cyber-wire.com> writes:

> Several times during my numerous attemtps at getting the installation of
> Linux correct (it looks like this, the 8th time, may be the charm), I
> have seen this line pop up on the screen:
>
> ISO9660Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
>
> What is MicroSloth doing in my supposedly nice clean Linux box??? <grin>

The CD you are using was mastered using Joliet extenstions to the ISO
9660 standard. Joliet is a filesystem developed at Microsoft to allow
for long file names on a CD under Windows. Of course, the GNU world
had Rock Ridge long before that, but the Linux kernel understands
both, and to make it easier to get files from a CD in a Windows
machine (say, when your GNU/Linux box doesn't have a CD-ROM drive),
Joliet is in more wide spread use nowadays.

> Oh, and this one concerns me too:
>
> Unable to load NLS charset iso 8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)
>
> Can anyone tell me what that is all about and whether or not I should be
> concerned?

Well, ISO 8859-1 (AKA Latin-1) is the "normal" character set, at least
for Americans. It usually isn't a problem when you get a warning like
this, as often if 8859-1 fails, the default encoding will be used,
which usually happens to be a lot like 8859-1. Of course, someone will
correct me if I am wrong here (being an American with little knowledge
of such things, I am not well versed in the ways of i18n and l10n).

--
Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo@ndn.net - http://jakob.kaivo.net/