how did "Microsoft" get in here?

Several times during my numerous attemtps at getting the installation of
Linux correct (it looks like this, the 8th time, may be the charm), I
have seen this line pop up on the screen:

ISO9660Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3

What is MicroSloth doing in my supposedly nice clean Linux box??? <grin>

Oh, and this one concerns me too:

Unable to load NLS charset iso 8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)

Can anyone tell me what that is all about and whether or not I should be
concerned?

TIA

David Kachel