Re: Printing- looking for documentation

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Eric said,
> Does anyone know where I can find useful documentation
> on printing that is specific to Debian? The Printing
> HOWTO doesn't work because it doesn't apply to the
> lprng model.

lprng is meant to be a drop in replacement for lpr. For the most part, it is.
 Install lprng (or lpr) and magicfilter, also lprng-doc.  Follow the prompts
during configuration and it "should" work.  The How-To is quite helpful with
both lpr and lprng. You will have to recompile your kernel to include parallel
printer support, if you have not done so already.

It will be easier for someone to help if you include more detailed information
about your printer and computer in further posts.

>I bought a book on Debian put out by SAM
> that's  over 1100 pages long and only about 2 pages
> (that's right 2!) have anything to say about the
> subject.

Sam's books pretty much suck.

> I'm looking for step-by-step instructions for
> installing a local printer on my workstation. I've had
> Debian on my box for 2 years and have never been able
> to get the damned thing to print to save my life.

I find printer configuration quite tricky, but I've got some practice as I
have three different printers on my home network. (an old Epson l1000 dot
matrix, an Epson Stylus Color 850, and old, old, old HP LaserJet)  I'll try to
help if I can.

-ptw