Re: Way test CD-Rom Drive for read capability w/Linux Needed

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 03:46:44PM +0000, John Foster wrote:
> I have recently noticed that my Cd-Rom drive seems to be skipping. I
> noticed it while running windows one day but it seemed to clear up when
> I went back to Linux. Now it is doing the same thing in linux. This
> happens when playing music. I have not noticed any problems in reading
> other CD's. Is there an application to test the read capability  of this
> with Linux. It is about 3 years old and should not be crapping out as it
> is only rarely used. Thanks!

When's the last time you cleaned the lens of that drive?  If it's been a
while that could be all that needs done.  Those lenses have a tendancy to
collect grunge even if they are rarely used - we've had similar problems
here at home with a number of different drives, CD and others.  Ran a
cleaning cycle and the drive started working a lot better.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"