Font doesnt work on X, so please help me.

Hi everybody.
I need your help on XFree86. I installed XFree86 3.3.6 running
on Debian 2.0. After I did XF86Setup, X-windows opened, but fonts
do not work. I mean I cannot see any character except for some vertical bars
in the windows. I found all fonts in the correct directory (at least if I
understood
correctly.  My video card is ATI Rage Fury which has been supported in the
XFree86
which I am now using. Please help me otherwise I don't know how I can fix the
problem.
 Thank you, Take Saitoh