From: Alec Smith [mailto:alec@shadowstar.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2000 2:12 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: DNS setup question

Right now I've got my Debian-based server acting as a DNS cache. I'm in the
process of moving a domain from one hosting company to another, and I'd
like to be able to test things as if this domain was pointed at the new
server instead of the old. I'm not quite ready to update the domain records
with InterNIC though.

Is there some way I can make my local DNS server report back to me that
amimedia.com is 209.68.1.210 instead of the old IP, but without having to
change things for the rest of the world? I'm not a Bind whiz, so pointers
are much appreciated.

I don't want to drop the DNS cache since it speeds things up most of the
time. Eventually I'd like to add DNS to another LAN I run, so I'd like to
use this as a chance to start learning how to configure Bind as opposed to
just adding another entry for DNS caching (to point at Pair Network's DNS
for the new amimedia.com IP).

Alec Smith