Re: I almost have sound working

Hi there,

Well, perhaps I can tell you what I did because I also use a mad16 card.
I have the most recent stable Kernel installed and compiled OSS support
into the kernel and built the support for the cards as a module.
What I did then was pnpdump -c >/etc/ispnp.conf . I did it with the -c
flag because it tries to automatically find the correct values for the
ispnp.conf. If it fails, you'll need to do it manually which often
results in mere trial-and-error.
After that I did ispnp /etc/isapnp.conf , meaning initialzing the card.
By the way, this will only be needed it you have a pnp card. If not, you
can leave this pnpdump stuff out.
After having done so I checked /dev/sndstat. Now it should list at least
the available cards. If all this still applies to your configuration you
can start try to load the module with modprobe mad16 io=0x530 irq=5
dma=1 dma16=0 mpu_io=0x330 mpu_irq=9 . These were the values that worked
fine with me. The only thing is that they differ from the ones found out
by isapnp...it said irq 11 which did not properly work. Again, it needs
trying.
The last step I had to do was /dev/MAKEDEV audio to build the several
audio devices such as /dev/audio and /dev/dsp. ( > /dev/dsp wont work
;-). And now you should have the sound. If so, you can automatize that
in your /etc/modules by adding the modprobe line as written above into
it and he should do it on startup.

Hope this helps,
Tassilo

  Hey,

  Thanks to all of your help, I almost have sound working.  My CD player
will
  play music, but I have no sound in Linux programs.  I went into sound
section
  of the Gnome configuration tool, and when I tried to play a sound,
nothing
  happened.  I turned the sound on my speakers all the way up, but their
was
  still no sound.  I don't know why the CD audio works, but my sound
doesn't.
  I'm using the Mad16 sound-driver in Debian Slink, my sound card is a
HOT-247
  (Opti 82C933 chip).

  Thanks,

  Cameron Matheson