Re: I almost have sound working

Cameron Matheson wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Thanks to all of your help, I almost have sound working.  My CD player will
> play music, but I have no sound in Linux programs.  I went into sound section
> of the Gnome configuration tool, and when I tried to play a sound, nothing
> happened.  I turned the sound on my speakers all the way up, but their was
> still no sound.  I don't know why the CD audio works, but my sound doesn't.
> I'm using the Mad16 sound-driver in Debian Slink, my sound card is a HOT-247
> (Opti 82C933 chip).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cameron Matheson

I don't have sound working fully on my box either, so I won't be of much help, but I can tell
you that the sound from an audio CD doesn't feed through your system software; it goes
directly from the CD drive to the sound card to the speakers. The only part that the system
software plays is to control the CD drive, and MAYBE control the volume.

So in other words, just because you can play audio CDs doesn't mean you've got sound working
on your box. Wish I had more and better answers for you....