Re: pronunciation of daemon, GNOME and GNU

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 05:31:19PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Is gnu pronounced with a y-glide, like news (nyooz)? I always thought
> that it was also pronounced guh-noo (without that glide), but I could be
> wrong. 'dict gnu' isn't clear.

Chambers gives two pronunciations for gnu (the animal) one identical to
new, and the other like noon and noose.  It claims the g is silent, but
that disagrees with the leading authority on the matter, Flanders and
Swann.

--
Matt Folwell, Trinity College, Cambridge.  CB2 1TQ
mjf36@cam.ac.uk