Re: pronunciation of daemon, GNOME and GNU

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 12:06:56PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> The English word gnome has the gn as the first part of knee; in the case
> of GNOME I pronounce a hard 'g' separated from the 'n', so guh-NOHM (not
> proper phonetic alphabet, but it should suffice ...), by analogy with
> GNU.

Thanks for your other explanations, but I think GNU introduces
a further difficulty.
I always thought that GNU should be pronounced as the wildebeest,
just as the lion did after he ate a whole herd of gnus:
It's twenty minutes past six. This is the end of the news.
To my ears that pronuciation makes sense in the pun 'GNU is not UNIX'.
However you seem to suggest that, by analogy with GNOME,
GNU should be pronounced approximately as guh-new,
or maybe as rhyming with canoe, giving guh-noe.
egbert

--
Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS  Amsterdam - 020 6257991