syslog facilities.

I have a /etc/init.d/fetchmail that starts a fetchmail daemon as soon as the
system is up.
The daemon used to log its actions in /var/log/mail.info, in accordance with
fetchmail man page. However, during the last few weeks the logs are stoped
though the mail is continued to be fetch in what looks like a proper work of
the daemon.
Can it be that having me changed the daemon owner from root to nobody has
caused the logging to be stopped? What other reasons are possible? How to cure
it?
BTW: Does it matter if the daemon is owned by root or by nobody?