potato fscked fvwm, and *slow*

I "upgraded" to potato since it was easier than a package-by-package
upgrade to get the newer version of wine (OK, that was stupid).

Two problems

1) fvwm is, uhh, bad.  It's behavior has changed a *couple* of times
over the last couple of days.  Initially, the wine windows behaved
normally, rather than sticking to the foreground like the documentation
mentioned.  Then I lost my left-click menus.  The little window box in
the lower right came back (I'd edited the old files to get rid of it,
but this is the least of my concerns).  Then this morning, it popped up
windows with no controls at all up top--they would go active  as the
mouse passed over, but there was no way (including mouse & control tab)
to move them around, or move them to the front).  I hid all the .fvwm*
in ~, and most of that went away.  But now for some programs
(netscape3, plan) it wants me to place windows twm-style (including
new netscape windows, but not netscape dialogs), but others work fine
(xterm, exmh).

2)  It's become pig-slow.  Massive paging, and generally noticeably
slower than under slink.  Not as bad as when the cache got turned off,
but netscape loading big pages while dselect runs doubly nice brings it
too its knees--high load, visible redrawing of windows, then a couple
of minuts of heavy paging with 20-70% idle CPU [i'm interpreting this
as it having things to do, but it can't do them until I reload]

The system is a p5/120 with 24mb (8 of which I had to bring from home).

rick