netatalk setup

While there is a debian netatalk distribution, I can't find any useful
documentation for getting it working. Most of the instructions I can find
refer to compiling and installing it on Red Hat, and the instructions don't
match what I have.

I've tried searching the debian archive, but it never turns up anything.

I've also looked in the Debian documentation online, but that doesn't give
me anything, either.

man atalkd *does* give me useful information, but it doesn't work. Since my
local net is on eth1, man atalkd seems to say that all I need is a
/etc/netatalk/atalkd.conf with the string "eth1". But I created this, and
when I try to launch atalkd, all I get is:

socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting

Thinking I might need to load a module, I ran modconf, but there is nothing
about appletalk, atalk or anything similar in the net section there, or
anywhere else for that matter.

Yet when I do apt-get install netatalk, it says I have the latest version
installed.

So how do I get this working?