updatedb not working

I'm using potato.  Today I tried doing "locate filename" and I got
"warning /var/lib/locate/locatedb more than 8 days old".  My understanding
is that this is supposed to be updated daily via cron in the script
/etc/cron.daily/find.  I wondered if cron was broken so I tried running
the script manually.  The file /var/lib/locate/locatedb was not modified.
So, it seems as if updatedb is broken on my system.  Or is something else
wrong with my system?

Thanks,

Gerry