Re: Netscape questions

These symptoms are typical Netscape behavior. almost everyone coplains of this sort of thing, yet no one I know has a definitive answer on how to fix them. I've heard alternately that both upgrading and installing older versions of glibc helps also trying differnt versions of netscape is not a bad idea, somepeople have fewer problems with v4.05, personally I use 3.04 for most everything and only switch to 4.x when I must have "advanced features." any way... to sum it all up... Netscape 4.x is a peice of poop, but it's all we have for now...

>>> paul <paul@cvanet.com> 01/26/00 11:25AM >>>
Netscape has some odd behaviors which I was wondering if anyone here could
shed some light upon.

1) whenever I launch netscape, top shows that netscape spawns itself as child
process either one or two times.  Why does this happen?  Is this normal
behavior for Netscape?  If so, then why is the number of "child" Netscapes not
always the same?

2) Whenever Netscape launches more than one "child" netscape, it hangs (for
varying amounts of time) before the browser becomes visible on my display.
Sometimes it never appears, and my xserver (XF86_SVGA) begins to eat up
processor time.  Why is this.  What is happening here?  No other processes
seem to be affected. (at least as is apparent from output of top.)

3) Often sites with banner adds will cause Netscape to hang if java and/or
javascript is enabled.  I do not keep them enabled, but some sites require
them for various reasons.  Other times this has caused Netscape to dissapear
from my display, (crash?) but Netscape continues to run in the backround and
begins to eat up processes and memory.  Once this happened and a mysterious
symbolic link appeared in the home directory I was using before I could shut
down Netscape.  (this happened somewhere in the domain http://www.playboy.com)
 Are there hostile Java applets?  Javascripts?  How can I continue to use
Netscape while minimizing security risks? (If there are security risks
associated with Netscape 4.7)

Thanks in advance for any response to this oh-so-lame post.  If it is any
help, I am running Slink (Debian 2.1r5) on a home system connected to the
internet through a dialup connection.  Kernel version is 2.0.36.

-ptw-