Re: Netscape questions

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 01:16:07PM -0500, paul wrote:
> Netscape has some odd behaviors which I was wondering if anyone here could
> shed some light upon.
>
> 1) whenever I launch netscape, top shows that netscape spawns itself as child
> process either one or two times.  Why does this happen?  Is this normal
> behavior for Netscape?  If so, then why is the number of "child" Netscapes not
> always the same?

It is normal.  The second process is for (supposedly) asynchronous DNS
lookups.  (The various resolver calls are blocking.)

> 2) Whenever Netscape launches more than one "child" netscape, it hangs (for
> varying amounts of time) before the browser becomes visible on my display.
> Sometimes it never appears, and my xserver (XF86_SVGA) begins to eat up
> processor time.  Why is this.  What is happening here?  No other processes
> seem to be affected. (at least as is apparent from output of top.)

Netscape is buggy?  Typically you can reduce the annoyances by killing
java and javascript.

> 3) Often sites with banner adds will cause Netscape to hang if java and/or
> javascript is enabled.  I do not keep them enabled, but some sites require
> them for various reasons.  Other times this has caused Netscape to dissapear
> from my display, (crash?) but Netscape continues to run in the backround and
> begins to eat up processes and memory.  Once this happened and a mysterious
> symbolic link appeared in the home directory I was using before I could shut
> down Netscape.  (this happened somewhere in the domain http://www.playboy.com)
>  Are there hostile Java applets?  Javascripts?  How can I continue to use
> Netscape while minimizing security risks? (If there are security risks
> associated with Netscape 4.7)

There are hostile applets, but more likely it's just a collection of
bugs in Netscape.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting