I thought Potato used a 2.2.x kernel?

I upgraded to Potato (that's what it took to get XWindows to work correctly
on my system -- now I have to figure out how to get KDE to be my default WM)
but my KERNEL didn't upgrade?!  It is still at 2.0.36 (or .39, I forget
which).  How?  Why?

Thanks btw for all the help yesterday!  I had a nightmare of a time last
night, kept getting APT errors with some packages so it is still not 100%
upgraded.  But at least I have XWindows and it THINKS it is potato.

Mike