Re: sendmail: NOQUEUE: Authentication-warning

> Looks like sendmail does a reverse dns lookup on a connecting host and
> find that the IP doesn't match the hostname.  It therefor suggest that
> someone messing around (authentication warning).  Are you controling
> relay using domain or IPs?

Relaying is restricted to localhost and two local subnets, so the warnings
aren't related to relaying.  The email is being delivered straight to
the machine in question.

/etc/mail/relay-domains:

    137.229.94
    137.229.92
    127.0.0.1

> Check hostnames against your dns records for the machines mentioned in
> the log event.

Most of the NOQUEUE warnings are for machines I have no control over
such as this one:

    Jan 25 00:23:36 denali sendmail[25859]: NOQUEUE: Authentication-Warning:
        denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu: Host pop2.sys.hokudai.ac.jp
        [133.87.1.132] claimed to be pop3.sys.hokudai.ac.jp

And even those that I do have control over, it is usually a Windows
machine that reports only it's hostname, when sendmail appears to want
the fully qualified domain name (i.e. Windows says alces and sendmail
wants alces.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu).

I'm not particularly worried at this point because these *new* warnings
are only warnings, but if they became errors that bounced the mail, I'd
be in a world of trouble that I couldn't fix.

I was hoping there was a flag in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf that got changed
in a recent potato upgrade and that I could reset to the way it used to
behave.

Thanks.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc