program like SuperProbe for sound?

I was wondering if there was any program which would do for soundcards
what SuperProbe does for graphics - in other words, go talk to the
hardware, ask it what it is, and tell you everything you need to know to
choose the right kernel module to run it.

I have an old Packard Hell machine in which I can get sound working with
the sb module, but I'm certain this isn't the most appropriate driver,
for several reasons:
* The sound card certainly isn't a "genuine soundblaster" and the kernel
configuration warns that "sb" is probably the wrong module for cards
which just claim compatibility.
* At boot, I get a warning that the "SB dsp version is just 3.01 which
means that either your card is very old or your sound is incorrectly
configured".
* The sound is noticably lower quality than it was under windows on the
same computer.

If it were just the first two I wouldn't care, but I'd like to get
reasonable sound out of this computer, and it really is painfully low
quality atm.

The description of the sound card that is on a label on the machine is
totally uninformative, and all other documentation for the machine is
long-lost. What can I do to find out what sound card I have?

Thanks in advance,
Stuart.