Re: Recompile kernel for sound?

David J Kanter <djkanter@nwu.edu> writes:
DJK> My kernel, 2.2.13, was not compiled with sound support because my
DJK> card had no drivers. Now it apparently does: the Aureal Vortex 2
DJK> chipset at linux.aureal.com. Do I need to (re-download and)
DJK> re-compile the kernel to enable sound support, or is there
DJK> something simpler I can do? The "drivers" are apparently object
DJK> files.

They're probably loadable kernel modules.  You can load them with
insmod(8) or modprobe(8), or possibly with kmod, the kernel-based
module autoloader.  An overview is in modules.txt in the kernel
documentation.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell