Re: Diskless from NFS --1) nfsd (rmtab); 2) /dev

> What is /etc/rmtab? On my slink computer, it is a mile long...

I am not sure but it may be /var/db/mountdtab or something like that.
mountd in 2.0 puts information in /etc/exports files, and it
moveing the info into /var, is, of course more then welcome from my own
point of view.

> I thought /etc/mtab was used here, not /etc/rmtab.

No, mtab keeps data about currently mounted _local_ file systems.

> However, I think if nfsd thinks there are open files, then there
> really are open files. You can't just unmount / on a Unix system, even
> on shutdown. Normally, it is remounted readonly.

Of course I know it -- just enought to see umountfs script.

> I don't think swap via NFS is a good idea. swap space needs to be
> fast.

I agree, in case of _diskless_ and _low memory_ it is the only solution.

> --
> Brian May <bam@debian.org>

Yours, Olexiy.