FW: RE: HELP: dhcp client probs

There are 3 DHCP clients available  for Linux:

1) pump:  I've never used it, but from what I've read on LinuxNewbie.org, It's
best avoided
2) dhcpcd:  Pretty much the szstandard DHCP client on most Linux distributions.
Uses /etc/init.d/dhcpcd as it's init script.  You need version 0.7.X for
kernels 2.0.x.  versions 1.13.X for kernels 2.1.x and 2.2.x.  The code base is
kind of old and sloppy.
3) dhclient:  I use and highly suggest this.  Uses /etc/dhclient.conf for it's
configuration file, and /etc/init.d/dhcp-client for its init script.

I would suggest installin a newer kernel.  Actually, just update to Debian 2.1.
Short of that, with Debian 1.3 (which uses a 2.0.x kernel, to the best of my
knowledge), your only choice is to use dhcpcd 0.7.X, as the others only work
with 2.1/2 kernels.

Hope this helps,
        Bryan

--------------End of forwarded message-------------------------