HELP: dhcp client probs

I am running Debian 1.3.1, soon to be updated to 2.1.  I am having problems with dhcpcd which I would
like to resolve before I upgrade. On @home the cable connection is rather routinely dropped.  Running
dhcpcd as root doesn't help, the only remedy I have found is to close down and reboot into Win95,
which seems not to have any probs with dhcpcd (things like this are probably why they don't officially
support Linux).

On the net I found a document "Setting up DHCP under Corel for @Home Cable" (Dec. 23/99) posetd
by 6plpy, where the problem is acknowledged, so it seems to persist in the more recent releases.  The
fix suggested is to make changes to /etc/inet.d/dhcpcd.  This file is not present on my system (there is
the executable dhcpcd in /usr/sbin). I found a note th debian-user on dhcp client bt Paul van Tilburg
where a file /etc/dhclient,conf is mentioned, but that file is also not on my system. Can anyone tell me
what to do, short of installing 2.1?

--
Albert Hurd

--- Begin Message --- I am running Debian 1.3.1, soon to be updated to 2.1.  I am having problems with dhcpcd which I would like to resolve before I upgrade. On @home the cable connection is rather routinely dropped.  Running dhcpcd as root doesn't help, the only remedy I have found is to close down and reboot into Win95, which seems not to have any probs with dhcpcd (things like this are probably why they don't officially support Linux).

On the net I found a document "Setting up DHCP under Corel for @Home Cable" (Dec. 23/99) posetd by 6plpy, where the problem is acknowledged, so it seems to persist in the more recent releases.  The fix suggested is to make changes to /etc/inet.d/dhcpcd.  This file is not present on my system (there is the executable dhcpcd in /usr/sbin). I found a note th debian-user on dhcp client bt Paul van Tilburg where a file /etc/dhclient,conf is mentioned, but that file is also not on my system. Can anyone tell me what to do, short of installing 2.1?

--
Albert Hurd

--- End Message ---