Re: vt220 or higher and 8 bit terminal with latin-1

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Hans Ekbrand wrote:

> I have problems with this: Conex7.5 on the DOS-side of the null-modem cabel
> and getty 38400 vt220 in /etc/inittab
>
> The problem is that ascii characters in the 160-255 range is displayed
> alright, but I can't type them from the terminal(emulator). I don't think
> conex is the problem, but everything worked alright when I used Telix3.5 and
> 8 bit vt102 emulation. (I thought 8-bit emulation was implemented firstly
> with the vt220, but debian did 8 bit with vt102, conex only does 8-bit emulation in vt220 and higher). I'd
> rather not use Telix as it is very slow on my XT-laptop.
>
> Anyone got vt220 or higher working with 8-bit terminals? How do I set it up?

Would you know if any of these terminal emulators could also handle UTF-8
or full Unicode for input and display?

I'm considering hacking the console UTF-8 support (IF I can find the
package again) to work over serial link and possibly switch between
vt102/UTF-8/Unicode, and I'm hoping there's some prior art someone happens
to know about.