Re: exim appropriate for dial-up?

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 01:51:47PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> In view of this, is exim the right choice in such a setting?  What is the
> alternative?

Exim works fine for me. I had used smail before, but everyone here said to
use exim.

> Setting up mail on debian seems very complicated compared to the usual
> process on Windows, where you simply configure a client with a few
> parameters.  It seems here you have a client and a transport agent to
> configure.

Yes an no. Netscape, I think, has its own transport agent; it's an MTA and
MUA all balled into one. So I would think that if you only use Netscape for
mail/news, you wouldn't have to worry about a real MTA.

> Retreiving mail uses POP, and there is no
> reference to POP in the exim manual as far as I can tell.

You'll want fetchmail for getting the POP mail. It's pretty easy to set up.
It even has an "easy set-up" setting.

Like another poster mentioned, I get a lot of mail from lists. Using exim,
fetchmail, procmail and mutt couldn't make me happier.

--
David J. Kanter
djkanter@nwu.edu