I'm confused

Hey,

I'm am so freaking confused about configuring my kernel, it's not even
funny.  I was reading the sound HOWTO, when it told me to read the
kernel HOWTO.  I began reading that, and it told me to go to
/usr/src/linux.  I don't have a directory called /usr/src/linux.  I went
to /usr/src, and all that was in their was kernel-headers-2.0.36.  What
the heck?  I need to get into /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound and run make
config, but that directory doesn't exist.  Do I need to download the new
kernel?

Thank you,

Cameron Matheson