Re: HELP! mv problem

Quoting cedric (cedric@pacifier.com):
> I did:
> mv /home/cedric/mydocs /mnt/LS120
> so I could backup /home/cedric/mydocs to a LS120 Super
> Drive that has worked fine for months.

If you're backing up, you want cp (I use cp -ip) not mv.

> I had not mounted the LS120 yet so I did:
> mount /mnt/LS120
> which worked fine.
>
> Then I did;
> mv /home/cedric/mydocs /mnt/LS120
> and got a message telling me /home/cedric/mydocs did not
> exist.
>
> Now, I can not find /home/cedric/mydocs.

umount /mnt/LS120 and *then* you'll find the files at
/mnt/LS120. They get "covered up" when you mount the
LS120 on top of them.

Having found them, mv them back to /home/cedric/mydocs,
mount the "floppy" and COPY them to it.

My opinion: the mistake you made is to have the mount
point /mnt/LS120 writable by you (the user) as opposed
to root.

Make the entries in /etc/fstab so that you (the user) can
mount the LS120 disk and write to it once mounted. After
making sure nothing's mounted, make the mount point owned
by root.root so you can't write files to it.

> I write fiction and /home/cedric/mydocs is where all my
> work is. Yes, I have everything except a few hours work
> from last night backed up on floppies, so the world will
> not end. I would very much like to get to last nights
> work, however. I know the files were not copied because
> the LS120 never came on.
>
> The reason I did mv is because I am heading to the post
> office later to get Debian and reformat my hard drive to
> get rid of RH.

Yes, don't do that yet!

> Any ideas on how to get out of this mess.
> I'm on hold hoping and praying to recover last nights work.

It should be hiding there.

Cheers,