Package hell (again)

Okay, so I'm in different package hell this time.

In trying to install a sound driver, dselect has somehow decided to remove
most of the software on my computer. I'm talking as far as removing apt-get
and a bunch of other system utilities.

Plus, when I try to re-fetch anything with dselect, I get about a million
attempts to install or remove a bunch of other stuff, all of which gives me
DPKG ERRORs. All dependency problems.

It seems to have a list somewhere of left-over jobs it still has to do, and
it keeps trying to do them.

Now, I can manually ftp things and install them one at a time. But how do I
ever get dselect back to a state of sanity? I've tried removing its
configuration files, and it just refuses to run. Is there some other way to
"reset" it?