Re: slink -> potato

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 08:06:16PM -0500, Edward Kear wrote:

> >One way to get around that problem would be to do this:
> >
> >rmdir /var/lib/dpkg/methods/<some-method>/debian
> >mkdir /home/debian
> >ln -s /home/debian /var/lib/dpkg/methods/<some-method>/debian
> >
> >before you start upgrading.  That will alleviate your disk space problem.
> or
>
> mkdir /home/debian
> apt-get -d -o dir::cache=/home/debian dist-upgrade
> (this will download all the files and put them in /home/debian
>   see apt-get -h)
> apt-get -o dir::cache=/home/debian dist-upgrade
> (this will install them from /home/debian)

	This brings up a question that i've had for sometime, but haven't
yet asked anyone.

	Why the hell does Debian insist on putting some very disk space
consuming directories in /var ?? such as:

/var/ftp
/var/cache
/var/lib/dpkg

	I've always been one to be specific and give just about everything
its own partition. For example, this is how I have my home machine set up:

/dev/sda3                46664     21454     22801  48% /
/dev/sda2               101093        21     95851   0% /tmp
/dev/sda6              1686362   1469759    129452  92% /usr
/dev/sda5               101075     82207     13649  86% /var
/dev/sda7              2082193   1797060    177500  91% /home

and the only reason var isn't overloaded is because I have the 3 directories
I mentioned above, symlinked to the /usr partition. I've always thought of
/var as a directory you partition off, give it a 100mb or maybe 200mb (or
more if you get lots of mail, or have lots of users) but the reason you
partiton it is so that if the mail gets enormous, or your log files get too
big, it just fills up /var and the rest of your filesystem isn't screwed.

Putting those three directories in /var seems to defeat that purpose, and
put some otherwise space consuming directories in a partition that normally
wouldnt even be able to handle a full dist upgrade (downloading all the dpkg
files into /var/lib/dpkg/<whatever directory>, or is it /var/cache? I
forget).

	Anyways, to cut myself off, can anyone explain this to me?

--
    -  Nick Jennings
Email: nick@namodn.com