slink -> frozen upgrade .. problems encountered

Following the freeze, I changed the sources.list
on one of my machines from stable to frozen and
did a dist-upgrade to see how it would get on.

The trick with the interim perl version didn't work.
Apt managed to leave me with three base package
versions installed but the program itself missing.
-> Suggest performing the perl upgrade manually
before letting anything else get changed automatically.

As a result of the perl hassle, a bunch of things
decided that they couldn't be installed as an upgrade
although they could be removed without trouble.
As a result, a large number of packages evaporated.

kbd insisted on being held back, even on dist-upgrade,
until I forcibly removed it and reinstalled it.

gconv-modules was not available by http but I needed
it and it discouraged a bunch of packages from installing.

The version of libncurses5-dev as listed in the website
distribution doesn't match the version in the ftp archive.
As a result, it fails to install with no warning I noticed.

Some other things that are listed in the web distribution
(and available by ftp) do not appear in the http index.

"nan.h" now lives in a different place.  Sigh.

The upgrade of ssh does correctly assert that existing
connections are not affected.  However, I found that
was unable to create any _new_ connections until I
had closed all the existing connections and restarted
sshd itself.  Not a problem, but disconcerting.

I'll try another machine in a couple of days; maybe this time
I won't accidentally delete my typescript before I'm done.

Alex.