Re: how many users per apache proc?

aphro wrote:

> thanks for all the replies ..i have a better idea ..sorta :) earlier i
> caught my server with 18 active connections running on only 2 processes(18
                   ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^
^
> idle servers) running Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21 AuthMySQL/2.20
> FrontPage/4.0.4.3 ..i set it to start 20 servers, max 250 connections, and
> ulimit is set to 125 processes.

This is wrong! Take a look a this quotation from
http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html:

"""Apache (on Unix) is a pre-forking model server. The parent process is
responsible only for forking child processes, it does not serve any
requests or service any
network sockets. The child processes actually process connections, they
serve multiple connections (one at a time) before dying. The parent
spawns new or kills off
old children in response to changes in the load on the server (it does
so by monitoring a scoreboard which the children keep up to date)."""

You might want to look at the docu at www.apache.org, it is very good!