mail confusion

It`s a long story but in order to install fidogate I replaced my
perfectly working exim with sendmail. Now when I try to collect my mail
with fetchmail I get:

reading message 1 of 10 (1598 header octets)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: IMAP> A0007 LOGOUT
fetchmail: IMAP< )
fetchmail: IMAP< A0006 OK Completed
fetchmail: IMAP< * BYE LOGOUT received
fetchmail: IMAP< A0007 OK Completed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.dial.pipex.com
fetchmail: Query status=10
fetchmail: normal termination, status 10

If I test sendmail with  "sendmail -v" it says :

 Recipient names must be specified

I would imagine that this is my problem but I`ve read loads of Docs. and
still can`t work out what`s wrong.
Easy with the advice please  - my head hurts!

Paul

--
Paul Walton                 * Powered by *
Cambridge                * Debian GNU Linux *