ncp (novel) wrongly locked

I'm using the ncpfs to use space on networked novell drives.  It works
most of the time with most applications, but it has a tendency to
halfway dismount itself on errors.  Some I can reproduce, but they all
involve manually dismounting then remounting.

This time, though, it wrongly concluded that the file system was still
in use, and refused to dismount.  I could find no way to remount other
than to reboot!  I searched for lock files in the usual places in /var,
but found nothing.

Is there some other way to deal with this situation?