Re: GRUB problems with Deb 2.0

Hi!

David Teague <dbt@elentari.cs.wcu.edu> writes:
> A GRUB floppy won't boot my old system which has a 486/66, 16 MB
> RAM, VL bus mother board, adaptec 2840 with (now) one 1GB scsi drive
> (Bios is enabled on the controller for that drive)  and a scsi CD
> ROM.  Linux 2.0 is on /dev/sda1, swap is on /dev/sda2. 2.0.34
> Kernel. The kernel is redev'ed to these parameters.
[...]

I've heard that older versions of GRUB are having problems with ext2
file-systems created by recent versions of the e2fsprogs.  As you say
that you have reinstalled your system, you might want to try a newer
one (I don't know when exactly this has been fixed - I'm using 0.93.1
which works fine).

> I thought that grub understood ext2 file system and could
> thereby avoid the 500MB/1024 cylender problem. Can this
> be wrong?!?

It's right, but only if you are using LBA.

Hope this helps,
Lars
 LocalWords:  LBA