Re: Off Topic? The "Gnuist" Office Suite

> I apologize for this being slightly off topic,
>         I need to put an office productivity suite on my linux box (with
> an emphasis upon the word processing program).  I am turned off by Corel's
> license

It's just as well.  WordPerfect for Linux _isn't_ the best out there; far
from it, in fact.

> and was wondering if there was a consensus on the list as to the
> most open and free office suite?

There is KOffice (http://koffice.kde.org).  The folks behind AbiWord
(http://www.abisource.com) are also planning an office suite.  The GNOME
people may also be trying to put one together, I'm not sure.  All of this
is GPL.  Unfortunately, none of them are ready for the prime-time, so to
speak.

> I don't know much about Star Office.

Image MS Office for Linux and you'll get pretty close to StarOffice.

> Is there a license for the use of that?

Simple freeware.

> Any recommendations?

StarOffice.  Once you get past it's slow load times and huge memory
requirements (don't bother if you have less than 64MB of RAM), it's
actually quite snappy, and has good support for MS Office file formats.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein